Thursday 9 April 2009

Lament.

Shit! Lament is fucking something else! This girl's pretty new to the scene but already her shit is unbelievable! I can't really explain her style; it's sort of morbid but with that it's stupidly cool, it has a proper comercial factor whilst still remaining pretty alternative! Recently we caught up with Lament...



So, Lament what exactly got you into the whole street art game?

The way I got into street art is a little funny actually, One of my friends wanted me to join this site [stencil revolution] and I did, and at this point I didn't put anything up at all. I met a lot of really inspiring people, and met this guy who calls himaself human, and he's been really pushing me to get up more. I'm actually fairly new to putting things outside, but I don't plan on stopping.

Awesome, so here's a generic question; who are your main influences?

I draw a lot of inspiration from fine artist, as I am sort of a fine artist first street artist second. Egon Schiele is a big inspiration, also Scott G Brooks and Zak Smith. Ghostpatrol and Miso especially were the big ones of the first sort of "street artists" that I was exposed to who did graffiti but weren't writers, people who were sort of in it to just make beautiful things and put them out into the world for people to see. That was the most attractive aspect I think, The notion that your artwork is out for people to see and not only that, to interact with in a way they never would be able to in a gallery setting.





What is it that influences you to start a specific piece?

With my works on the streets, I usually try to just go with my instincts. There are so many restrictions I put on myself when it comes to creating works on canvas or work for my personal portfolio that making pastes is like really relaxing. They're sort of like large scale doodles, the kind of things you draw all the time but feel like they don't have enough substance to be anything other than a doodle, but on the streets that sort of stuff doesn't really matter

How is the scene in your area?


The scene around me is dying. There are a lot of really good writers, and a few really kind of prolific sticker kids, haha. I don't feel like I'm that involved in the scene itself.

When it comes to putting up work on the streets where do you stand? Are you more a "Ha-Ha" type character with his two cans a night philosophy or a "as and when the mood strikes" type of artist?

Human is really the one who pushes me to get out and get up. I'm really sort of new to the whole thing, so Ive been getting up more, but not very much, hahaI'd love to one day to be going out every night, but there are limits haha. I'm trying to really kind of ease into putting things up more.
















Treehouse collaboration with Human



Lately a lot of writers seem to be going for the more public route and holding exhibitions in public gallerys; where do you stand on this matter?


Well my background is really in formal art and art education, I have no problem with exhibitions and shows. Being able to eat a little is something we all want, and living off of your art is like everyones dream, haha. Unfortunately you have to sell art in order to live off of art. It's the sad truth of the way the world works.


So, finally, who do you think we should look out for in the future?

Indigo, Haligh, and especially Pahnl, also how could I get away without saying human and I. We have big plans for the future, look out, haha

No comments:

Post a Comment