Tuesday 2 February 2010

Tom Leishman Interview!

Born and raised in Cannock, Stafford and now working out of London, Tom Leishman is an exceptionally talented young photographer who is now receiving the attention and work load he deserves. Having worked hard for years, mostly with in the music scene, making up and coming bands look cool, hes now finding his time being spent working with massive acts like The Saturdays and Mcfly. We caught up with Tom to see whats been happening and find out what 2010 has in store for him.

TFS - Hi Tom, thanks for doing this. Tell us a bit about your self and how you got into photography and what inspired you to first pick up a camera

TL - Hey! I’m Tom Leishman; I’m a 23-year-old photographer! I started photography when I was 19 I’ve been doing this for about 4 years now. I never did enjoy school I felt I’d never be able to achieve anything with myself once we’d finished, I had bad experiences at school... I never had the stomach for the educational system... So when I left school feeling lost in a dead end job with a huge chip on my shoulder at 19 I only had music and art that I felt any passion for... So it just naturally happen when my cousins where in a popular local rock band and I had just bought a new camera from a police auction website! Haha but I never imagined It would have taken me on this journey!

TFS - you’ve done a lot of work with in the music scene, working with different bands and artists, tell us about your first photo shoot

TL - My first ever photo shoot was with my cousins pop-punk band "NeverSayDie" I only had a camera and a tripod! I believe my weapon of choice was a Canon 350D. It was at a fancy dress party and the guys where all dressed as zombies, we did it in a graveyard, oh dear oh dear! My first shoot with my own lighting equipment was with a Alternative/Metal band from Essex called "Last Nights Recital" I told them I’d just got the lighting so they had to be patient with me... I think the shoot went on for hours! Haha. Nightmare we got there eventually in the end!

TFS - who’s been you favourite band/artist to work with

TL - Any band that isn’t afraid to challenge me like Random Conflict or Heights! Random Conflict let me bury them alive in my back garden! Haha... Heights let me drown them in the middle of winter in a swimming pool! I do love a challenge but I love accomplishing them more!

TFS - do you have any favourite photographers who you take influence from or tried to learn from?

TL - I draw influences from many photographers just to name a few of them Chris Strong, David Lachapelle, Dave Hill, Joey Lawrence, Jill Greenburg and Tim Walker... I spent a lot of time studying and trying to understand their lighting and techniques, these photographers are always inspiring me to push myself, but I think that my biggest influences don’t just come from photography they come from every day-to-day things such as the smallest sounds you hear to the feelings you get when listing to your favourite songs.

TFS - have you got any exciting projects coming up this year?

TL - Yes! I have more work coming up with The Saturdays and Mcfly, which I’m really excited about! It’s only early days of 2010 and it’s already looking bright! I love taking photos of the girls they’re so pretty its hard not to get a good photo of them! Plus they’re really easy to get along with! But who knows what this year holds for me, only more good news I hope!!

TFS - you’ve managed to build up a really excellent portfolio of clinets, like The Saturdays, New Found Glory and Enter Shikari. How did you go about building your name and reputation?

TL - Thank you! Back in the day when Myspace was an addiction rather than just a social networking website, promoting yourself on that was a really useful tool if you knew how to. I used that to network with bands, promoters, models and photo-lovers all around the world (This is how I met Dave from INK). It doesn’t cost that much money for business cards or postcards... So at every rock show I went to I used to whore myself out to the crowd, letting everyone know what I was about, because if you don’t tell everyone no ones going to do it for you!

TFS - have you any advice for any new photographers who are looking to build up their reputation?

TL - Just network, talk to as many people as possible, make friends with people from all walks of life and always give out a business card! If you want it bad enough and you’re serious about what you want to do, anything is possible. Keep positive and photograph everything! Learn from your mistakes and remember what worked! Assisting is a good way to pick up things and learn, I’m always looking for assistants on jobs as are many other photographers; So get in touch.

TFS - finally what music are you listening to right now and what acts do you think we should watch out for in 2010?

TL - I’m a music obsessive so this is an amazing question for me! I love all sorts of music genres! But I’d keep my eyes and ears open for Alain Clark, this guy from the Netherlands who’s bringing back soul the way its meant to sound! Bad Rabbits who are doing this Gym Class Heroes meets Prince thing, its awesome! Sharks from the UK they’re doing this Clash meets The Gallows mix up which is just incredible, really nice guys to! The Heyday, Parachute and Brighten are all amazing pop rock bands, if you’ve not heard these then you’re missing out! Finally this man Sam Little... Believe me... Little might be his second name, but his voice is BIG! Thanks for talking to me TFS!

3 comments:

  1. He's a good Scadger that Tom bloke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see Tom is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nawrh Tom is so cute, and the fact he's a photographer just makes it:-)! We Love you tom!
    From
    Emily+Anna! Xx

    PS- Dannii Leggett Smells:-)

    ReplyDelete